RSS Feed

Miss Dior 1949: A Labor of Love

Posted on

Those of us who love vintage fashion have been ogling the videos and photographs that have been circulating on the internet in preparation for the Le Petit Théâtre Dior exhibition, now in Chengdu, China.

Diormini

This miniature version of the gown Miss Dior, which was made in 1949, immediately caught my eye and I fell in love.  I just had to try it for myself.  This is a brief look into my project.

I began the process on Monday, assembling my materials and planning my strategy.

IMG_1572

And drafting a pattern…

IMG_1573

Every journey begins with a single step…or flower petal.

IMG_1574

I made two skirt panels, stitching on the petals by hand and sewing on pearls and beads.  After a trial assembling, I decided it needed another panel, so I did one more, in two pieces for the back.

IMG_1578

IMG_1579

The next step was cutting out the pieces and sewing them together.  The seams then had to be covered with petals.

Now came the moment of truth…would these skirt panels come together with a bodice to form a dress.  The answer is YES!

Here is the dress attached to its bodice.  It does not yet have the lining for the bodice and skirt, and there are still beads and flowers that need to be sewn on, but a dress is beginning to take shape.

IMG_1580

Tomorrow, I will put the finishing touches on the dress and on Friday I will offer it for sale via silent auction.  I hope that you have enjoyed my creative journey!

About hwesterv

Designer of couture fashions in 1/6 scale

15 responses »

1. So in love with this. Can’t wait to see the final pictures on Friday

2. You really inspired me to do this project, Rogier, so I am so happy that you like it ❤

3. Maybe you could help me. Do you know where i could buy a material doll mannequin?It would be so much better then using my plastic one.

4. Watching with anticipation!

5. Incredible ! The patience, the time and the love ! It SHOWS ! Cannot wait to see the finished gown! xo

6. Hilda, What an incredible labor of love! As always, your attention to detail is perfection.
    Look forward to the finished gown!

7. Pingback: The Allure of Dior | Inside the Fashion Doll Studio

8. Lori Birkeneder

Hilda you are just amazing!!!

9. This is a beautiful dress, as all your creations are. I like the photo/s with the flowers on just the bodice better than the dress with the flowers all over. Just a thought. I hope it’s not an insulting one. I know nothing about these things but what I like. Denese