RSS Feed

Nancy’s Garden in Yellow and White

Posted on

Last week while I was working on my Chotronette Party Dress, my mother Nancy was making a journey.  She was always in my thoughts as I worked, as it was she who gave me such a deep love of flowers.  She always had flowers in the house, regardless of the time of year.  She was a gifted flower arranger and could take tiny snippets of blooms and leaves and create stunning little bouquets that she would place around the house.

20170304_133011117_4_orig

My darling Mama joined my father in heaven on Wednesday, March 1.  She had just turned 84.  Because the design of this dress gave me so much comfort as she was dying, this gave me the idea to create a series of flower dresses in her honor called “Nancy’s Garden.”  Each of these dresses will be different, all one of a kind.  They are the same basic design as the Chotronette Party Dress, with subtle variations in bodice and skirt length.

The first gown in the series is in yellow and white.  My Mom always said that her favorite color was yellow because it was happy, so this seemed like a good color to start with.  The skirt is made from 8 layers of tulle in alternating yellow and white.  Encased in the tulle are flowers and leaves, including tiny daffodils, roses, and daisies, and ivy leaves.  The strapless, dropped waist bodice is made from white silk and decorated with flowers and leaves, overlaid with yellow tulle.  A narrow grosgrain ribbon in yellow decorates the top of the bodice and the waist, with a tiny bow.

This fashion fits most 1/6 scale dolls, but the length will vary according to the doll’s height.

Now on Etsy!

IMG_1771IMG_1764IMG_1763IMG_1767IMG_1768IMG_1766IMG_1765

About hwesterv

Designer of couture fashions in 1/6 scale

14 responses »

1. “Gasp!” What a beautiful way to pay tribute to your beautiful mother Hilda! Mwah!

2. My condolences to you and your family. What a beautiful photo of your mom. The gown is amazing.

Demetria

3. I love this! And I love the idea! Your Mama’s spirit inspiring you. xo

4. Lori Birkeneder

Oh Hilda that is lovely. A wonderful tribute.

5. Hi Hilda What a lovely idea to honor your Mama. The flower dresses are amazing.

6. Such a gorgeous dress and wonderful tribute to your mother, so sorry to hear of your loss Hilda. Sending my warmest hugs to you.

7. I lost my dad in 2009, and even though he lived a long life, I miss him every day. My mom has Alzheimer’s and at 98, isn’t doing well now. She taught me to sew, and “trash to treasure” before it was a “thing.” I think these dresses are beautiful, and I agree with the other comments that it’s a very special tribute to your mom. The older I get, the more I realize how much my parents taught me, and how valuable it has been in my life. Hopefully, your happy memories will help you deal with the losses more as time goes on. Beautiful work as always.
    Ronda

• Thank you so much, Ronda. I am very sorry about your Dad and your Mom. It is a terrible loss, even though we know it will happen, nothing prepares us for it. I hope that your Mom passes peacefully and without pain and fear. That was our wish for our Mom and it came about. We are blessed. Hugs xoxo